For folks that have… well, teeth grinding is kind of an in-between issue because we always want to look at the cause of teeth grinding, and I think the literature today says that a lot of the teeth grinding is related to airway issues at night while people sleep, so we always will assess everybody for airway issues, and then if they have teeth grinding issues and whatnot, then we find appropriate care for that. Teeth grinding may lead to symptoms other than just worn teeth.
It may lead to jaw pain, or jaw clicking, or headaches, or things like that, which that may be a sign that somebody has—well, we consider TMJ, or temporomandibular dysfunction and in that case, then we have to do a thorough diagnosis of the head and neck muscles and other muscles, the jaw, how the teeth fit together, and we do use some tools or technology to diagnose that and in which case then, various types of appliances are used. There are orthopedic devices to kind of straighten the jaw, calm the muscles down, and bring comfort. And then lastly, there may be some restorations that need to be done, or braces, or something to realign the teeth to fit better.
TMJ issues and teeth grinding can cause daily discomfort in your jaw, neck, face, and shoulders. Many of these problems are due to irregularities with your jaw or bite.
As a highly trained prosthodontist, Dr. Wilhelm has a deeper understanding of how all of the parts of your jaw work together to create a functioning smile.
At Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD, our TMJ treatment can:
- Eliminate jaw and facial pain
- Prevent headaches or migraines
- Ensure your oral health by preventing damage caused by teeth grinding
Call 651-319-9064 to meet with Dr. Wilhelm at our Woodbury, MN dentist office for your TMJ Treatment . He can help put an end to your pain for good!
Stopping Your Pain With Easy TMJ/Teeth Grinding Solutions
Dr. Wilhelm does tremendous amounts of continuing education to find the newest and most effective ways to treat TMJ disorders. He currently recommends:
- Comfortable mouthguards to alleviate the pressure and strain on your jaw joint
- Occlusal (bite) rehabilitation to help rebuild your smile from chronic bruxism, or teeth grinding that occurs during the day or even while you sleep
Determining If You’re Suffering From TMJ Or Teeth Grinding
If you’re dealing with any of the following issues, Dr. Wilhelm will find out if your TMJ or teeth grinding is causing the problems and provide the best treatment for you.
- Facial Pain And Earaches
- Headaches And Migraines
- Clicking or Popping in Your Jaw
- Locking Jaw
Finding Out What Causes TMJ
TMJ refers to your temporomandibular joint, which connects your jaw to the rest of your skull. This joint and its muscles extend all the way up into the temple region on the side of your head. A TMJ disorder, or TMD, occurs when you develop an issue with the joint, and the symptoms of that disorder can range from just bothersome to painful.
Modern dentistry doesn’t know for certain what causes TMD, but the contributing factors we know of include:
- Injury Or Trauma To Your Jaw Joint – If you have been hit in the jaw or had a recent trauma to the area, you could begin to develop TMJ symptoms. If you do, you need to get in to see Dr. Wilhelm as soon as you can before the symptoms get worse.
- Grinding Your Teeth – This puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the joint itself. The TMJ is a tough joint and is built to take the strain of almost constant use during the day. But grinding your teeth is not a natural action for the TMJ and is therefore something it was not designed to withstand.
- Movement Of The Disc Within the Socket – The TMJ is a ball-and-socket joint. Between the ball and socket is a disc that acts like a cushion. If this disc moves or gets out of place at all, you may experience pain that leads to TMD.
Ready to start getting relief? Call us today at 651-319-9064 to schedule your appointment for teeth grinding / TMJ Treatment at our Woodbury, MN office. You can book a visit using our online form too.