What do you do when your dental problems are not only affecting your appearance but also the overall function of your mouth? Restorative dentistry from Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD in Woodbury, MN can repair the damage to your teeth or replace missing teeth, restoring their function and your smile. As a prosthodontist, Dr. Wilhelm is highly qualified to provide the best restorative solutions possible. A prosthodontist has completed 2-3 years of additional training in advanced dental restoration techniques to give you the best possible outcome.
What is restorative dentistry?
Restorative dentistry is aimed at saving the life of your teeth and in some instances replacing them to give you back the function of your mouth. Nature gifted us with the perfect tool to do the job of eating, speaking, and smiling with our teeth. It is always better to keep your natural teeth, but there are times where the damage to them is too extensive. In those cases, the damaged tooth threatens the health of your other teeth or your entire mouth. Restorative dentistry gives us the means to help keep your teeth safe and healthy and return function when they aren’t.
What treatments are considered to be restorative?
- Dental Fillings – Tooth decay will eat away at your tooth, creating a void that Dr. Wilhelm needs to fill. Dental fillings will fix this void and support your tooth while you use it to eat, speak, and smile.
- Inlays/Onlays – These are considered partial crowns. They are for conditions that require more than a filling but less than a crown. An inlay goes over the inside of your biting surface, while an onlay extends onto the outer biting surface as well.
- Dental Crowns – Crowns are cap-like structures that we place over damaged teeth to keep them safe, restore function, and prevent further damage.
- Dental Bridges – Missing one or more teeth from your smile can cause issues when you are trying to eat, and they can make you hesitate to show your smile to others. A bridge is able to fill the spot in your smile and give you a restoration that will get you back to eating and smiling confidently.
- Veneers – Thin, porcelain veneers act almost like fingernails for your teeth. The are not just a cosmetic option, but a dental restorative solution as well.
- Dental Implants – With the ability to fully bond with the bone in your jaw, dental implants are able to do everything your real teeth did.
How can dental crowns help my teeth?
When you have a severe crack or a break in your tooth, the life of your tooth is at risk. Extensive tooth decay that can’t be fixed with a simple dental filling will threaten your tooth as well. Dental crowns are able to restore the look of your tooth and, more importantly, its function. The crown will protect your tooth from further damage and hold up to the biting forces of your mouth.
What restorative value do veneers have?
Veneers are considered a cosmetic fix, but they have restorative value as well. When you have a cracked tooth that does not require a crown, a veneer is often a good option. The veneer will bond to the front of the tooth and keep it safe from further cracking or breaking.
How are implants used in restorative dentistry?
Sometimes, a tooth comes out or needs to be extracted. To maintain good oral health, you will need to find a replacement option to fill your smile. Dental implants give you the closest replacement for your real teeth that modern dentistry can offer. You will regain the stability, look, and feel of your natural teeth with dental implants from Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD.
Call our Woodbury, MN office today to schedule your appointment. You can also use our online form to schedule your appointment.