Tooth removal as far as anxiety or whatnot we again refer to sedation options. For things like that you don't need to be nervous or scared about having teeth removed. I did the math I had taken out over twenty thousand teeth. So I figured that I have enough experience. But as far as tooth removal that's usually a non-event. We can take the teeth out and then I were usually more concerned with what we're replacing the teeth with. So I don't like people the stressed out or worried about having the tooth removal because it's pretty much a non-event.
At Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD, it’s always our goal to help you keep your natural teeth. If we decide you need to have a tooth removed, it would only be to:
- Keep your gums and other teeth healthy
- Allow us to provide restorative dentistry solutions that will improve your oral and overall health
- Prevent pain or infection that cannot be resolved another way
Dr. Wilhelm will do whatever he can to keep your smile safe, and if that means removing a tooth, you can rest assured in his ability to replace that tooth as a skilled prosthodontist.
Call 651-319-9064 to schedule a worry-free appointment at our Woodbury, MN dentist office for tooth extractions / tooth removal. We’ll discuss your smile and what’s best for you!
Saving Your Smile With Gentle Tooth Removal/ Tooth Extractions
Your adult teeth are meant to last for your entire life. Unfortunately, life doesn’t always cooperate with that plan. Here are a few of the reasons you may need to have one of your permanent teeth extracted:
- Extensive Tooth Decay – If you have severe tooth decay, there may not be enough of your natural tooth structure left to support a dental crown. In those instances, you will need to have the tooth removed so that you can get a tooth replacement and preserve your oral health.
- Broken Teeth – A dental crown is an effective way to restore the function of most broken teeth. If a tooth is too badly broken to remain in your mouth, an extraction will eliminate any pain and keep the rest of your mouth safe as well.
- Infected Teeth – To clear a serious tooth infection, you may need to have your tooth taken out. This will keep the rest of your teeth from getting infected as well.
- Impacted Teeth – A tooth that cannot fully emerge from your gums is called an impacted tooth. This can happen to any of your teeth, but it is especially common with wisdom teeth. Impacted teeth usually need to be removed. Otherwise, they can cause pain, misalign your teeth, or increase the likelihood of damage to nearby teeth.
Providing Comfort During Your Tooth Extractions
Dr. Wilhelm will use a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth. He can also offer dental sedation if needed. Once the area is numb, he will extract your tooth.
After you have a tooth removed, you will need to take it easy for the next day or so. Snuggle up in bed with your favorite book or movie, drink plenty of water, follow our instructions for quick recovery, and take it easy.