With as many as 15% of Americans suffering from dental anxiety, the last thing we want you to feel is alone.
Dental anxiety is a very real condition that causes millions of people each year to avoid the dentist. That can have a detrimental effect on your oral health.
While technology and techniques have improved to make procedures less painful than ever before, we understand dental anxiety is still a big issue for many people.
At the office of Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD, in Woodbury, MN, we offer several options for our patients in need of comfort.
Don’t let dental anxiety stand in your way of a healthier mouth, we can help!
Do You Have Dental Anxiety?
You don’t have to be thrilled to visit the dentist, but you shouldn’t be terrified. If you’re truly scared to get your teeth cleaned, you could be suffering from dental anxiety. While specific symptoms vary from person to person, the most common symptoms include:
- Tension or trouble sleeping the night before a visit to the dentist.
- You get more nervous the longer you’re in the waiting room.
- You feel upset when you think about going to the dentist.
- When you see dental tools or staff at the dentist office, you become more anxious.
- Just the thought of going to the dentist makes you feel sick.
- You feel panicked or have a hard time breathing when tools are placed near or in your mouth during a cleaning.
If you experience any of the above symptoms or similar, related symptoms, don’t hesitate to talk to us about it. At our Woodbury, MN dentist office, we offer several solutions for patients with dental anxiety.
Managing Dental Anxiety In The Dentist Office
At the office of Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD, we can help you conquer your dental anxiety. Oral health is an essential part of your overall health. We want to make sure you’re able to take care of your teeth and gums with as little discomfort as possible.
We offer the following options for patients with dental anxiety:
- Pillows and blankets to help you be more comfortable in the dental chair.
- We offer music and videos to help distract you and keep your mind off your treatment.
- The following sedation options are also available if you and your dentist agree it’s necessary:
- Nitrous oxide – A mild form of sedation that can help you relax. You will likely feel drowsy but you will still be awake. Nitrous oxide wears off soon after your appointment so you can drive yourself home.
- Oral sedation – Ranges from mild to moderate sedation. You will have to come to our office an hour before your appointment to take the pill. You will feel like you’re about to fall asleep or you might fall asleep but you’ll still be able to follow directions. Because oral sedation takes several hours to wear off after your appointment, you’ll need a ride home.
- IV sedation – This type of sedation is adjustable throughout the process, based on how much sedation is needed. You will be asleep and will need some time afterward to recover. You’ll need a ride home if you use IV sedation.
- General anesthesia – The strongest sedation we offer. You will be completely asleep and it will take a little while for you to wake up after the procedure is over. You’ll need several additional hours before you feel normal again, so you’ll definitely need a ride home.
Don’t Let Dental Anxiety Stand In Your Way Of Good Health
At the office of Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD, we regularly see patients with dental anxiety. We strive to make you feel as comfortable as possible while we take care of your teeth. Don’t let your fears keep you away any longer. Call (651) 319-9064 to schedule an appointment. You can also visit our website to find out more information or to schedule an appointment online.