Do you suffer from dental fear? Do you need help getting past a painful dental experience from your past? Dr. Wilhelm at Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD can help you be comfortable and relaxed while you take care of your smile.
- Q: Is dental anxiety common
- Q: How do I get past my dental fear
- Q: Can Dr. Wilhelm help me with my dental fear
- Q: What comfort options are available at Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD
- Q: What types of sedation are available
Q: Is dental anxiety common?
If you are suffering from dental anxiety, you may feel like you are alone. This is not the case. Millions of Americans suffer from this type of fear. In fact, the latest estimates put the number between 24 and 35 million people. That number sounds even bigger when you take into account that the total population of the 10 largest American cities adds up to just over 24 million. Dental fear is a very real problem, and you don’t have to feel like you’re the only one, because you’re not.
Q: How do I get past my dental fear?
In order to get past any kind of problem, you need to figure out what the source is. Once you have identified where your fear came from, you need to talk through it with someone. This needs to be someone who has a healthy view of dentistry, not someone who also suffers from dental fear. A wonderful option is to come and talk to Dr. Wilhelm. He will listen to what you have experienced and can give you expert feedback on what was going on when your fear was born. You may find that the procedure that caused your fear is no longer in practice or has been changed to lessen any pain it caused.
Q: Can Dr. Wilhelm help me with my dental fear?
Besides talking through your dental fear, Dr. Wilhelm will make sure that you are comfortable during your dental procedure. One reason people feel pain at the dentist’s office is that they are not administered enough anesthetic to keep them comfortable. Many dentists give medication based strictly on age, weight, body size, and other physical characteristics. This leads to a very generalized view of how much anesthetic a patient needs to be comfortable during their treatment. Dr. Wilhelm knows that you are not like any other person he treats, and he will make sure that you are given the appropriate amount of medication to keep you pain-free.
Q: What comfort options are available at Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD?
At Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD, your comfort is one of our top priorities. We offer pillows and blankets to help you relax and be comfortable in the dental chair. We also have music and videos available to take your mind off of your treatment so that you can get the dental care you need.
Q: What types of sedation are available?
Mark W. Wilhelm, DMD, MSD offers two types of sedation.
- Nitrous Oxide – This is the mildest form of sedation available. You will be relaxed and comfortable during your treatment. You may feel drowsy, but you will be able to participate in your own treatment if needed. Nitrous wears off quickly following your appointment and will allow you to drive yourself home.
- Oral – Your sedation level can range from mild to moderate with our oral sedation. You will arrive an hour before your appointment to take your sedation (in pill form). Oral sedation will put you on the edge of sleep, or you may even fall asleep. However, you will be able to respond to commands. This type of sedation is effective for most all procedures. The effects of this type of sedation will take several hours to wear off following your appointment. This means you will need a ride home.
- IV Sedation – With this level of sedation, we can adjust the sedative effects throughout the process based on what you need. You will be asleep during the procedure and will need some time following to recover. Again, you will need a ride home.
- General Anesthesia – This is the highest level of sedation we offer, and you will be totally asleep. It will take a little time for you wake up following your procedure, and you will definitely need several hours following to get back to normal.